Working to protect the ocean
Blue Marine Foundation
BLUE aims to restore the ocean to health by addressing overfishing, one of the world’s biggest environmental problems. BLUE’s mission is to see at least 30 per cent of the world’s ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70 per cent managed in a responsible way.
BLUE has developed five key strategic interventions to improve the health of the ocean:
- Secure effective marine protected areas to ensure the protection of at least 30 per cent of the ocean by 2030.
- Develop models of sustainable fishing, proving that low-impact fishing benefits marine life, local fishers and communities.
- Tackle unsustainable marine activities by highlighting and tackling poor practice.
- Restore marine habitats to revive and protect vulnerable and threatened species and to sequester carbon.
- Connect people with the sea and enhance ocean understanding across generations.
BLUE works using a combination of top-down intervention to improve governance of the seas and bottom-up project delivery to help local communities who are at the front line of ocean conservation.
With this project, BLUE will investigate the role of public bodies in the promotion and governance of salmon farming and seek to make public bodies accountable for the recorded ill-effects of open pen salmon aquaculture.
For more information visit: https://www.bluemarinefoundation.com/